Types of US Visa

by Feb 21, 2018

BLOG CATEGORY: Uncategorized

The Visa process is the final part of your application process. The visa is a document that grants you permission to enter a country for a specified time frame for a specific reason.  The nature of your visit and its length is specified on the visa document.  You may have different reasons for visiting a country – example a business trip, tourist visits or educational purposes are some of the reasons that you may visit the United States.

There are 2 main kinds of visas – Immigrant Visa and the Non-Immigrant Visa.


The immigrant visa is required of people who are planning to migrate or settle down permanently in the US and are not currently citizens. For this, you will need to file your papers for immigration with the consulate office of that country.  In the US, an individual planning to migrate will receive a Green Card through either sponsorship of a blood relative, or being a person with extraordinary abilities, or working for a US Based organization or by being an investor who would be ready to invest $1,000,000 at the least. Through the immigrant visa, you can file for citizenship status in the US. For more information on immigration visas please visit the nearest US consulate or www.uscis.gov


Non-Immigrant, on the other hand, is a temporary visa.  An individual is allowed to visit the country for a specific purpose and for a specified time frame.  A nonimmigrant visa does not permit you to become a citizen of the country.  Your citizenship status does not change. You will remain an Indian citizen who is visiting the United States for the sole purpose of business, education or simply as a visitor.


  • F-1 Visa: This type of visa is the visa used by students. This visa allows a student to visit the United States for academic purposes.  Students are allowed to take their dependents along i.e. their spouse and children by applying for an F2 visa.
  • J-1 Visa: This type of visa is used by students who apply for exchange programs.  Students are allowed to take their dependents i.e. wife and children by applying for a J-2 visa.
  • M-1 Visa: This type of visa is for vocational or other nonacademic students. Students are allowed to take their dependents i.e. wife and children by applying for the M-2 Visa.
  • B-1/B-2 Visa: A B-1 Visa is used for people on business trips, while B-2 is used by tourists.  Each person has to individually apply for this visa and it does have any dependent status attached to it.
  • H-1B Visa: People who plan to work in the United States use the H1B visa.  The H1B allows one to work in specialty occupations.
  • The H2B visa status is a temporary work permit.
  • The H-3 visa is used by company trainees and is for a short term.

The dependents (spouse and children) of the H-1, H-2 or H-3 visa holders can apply for an H4 status

Leave a comment.

Share This