Engineering is becoming one of the most sought after professions in the world, especially in the US. It involves the application of science and mathematics for innovating, designing and development, and automating systems and processes. The discipline of engineering possesses a broad range of specialized fields, which emphasize specific areas of applied mathematics and applied science. Engineers are building solutions to solve the most desperate or pressing problems in almost every field be it the field of medicine or the area of the technology itself. The rapid pace at which technology grows coupled with insufficient natural resources is paving the way for a huge demand for engineers.
Specific issues concerning engineering study
A research was conducted on employability-focused studies on 15,000 engineering graduates in the year 2013 and tried finding out if they were employable. The results were appalling as almost 70% of the graduates from Indian programs were not employable because of the following reasons:
- Syllabus not updated for a long term
- Lack of skill-based education
- Lack of innovation and research
- Disregard of essential soft skills
- Lack of practical exposure
Why Study engineering in the United States
The United States of America has been a global leader in the field of education offers an opportunity to overcome these shortcomings. The global exposure, teaching standards, research opportunities, and an opportunity to meet people from across the globe are just some of the benefits that make graduates from the US unique.
Several reasons why studying in the US outweighs others:
- Practical Curriculum – Compared to studying from a prescribed textbook, practical learning helps to explore in real-time with ‘Curricular Practical Training.’
- Optional Practical Training (OPT) – The US also provides graduates an opportunity to work after completion of their program. The optional practical training (or OPT as it is popularly known) gives students from STEM accredited programs a chance to work for three years and from other programs an opportunity to work for one year
- Job Oriented Training ground – The industry and educational institutions work hand-in-hand while coming up with the curriculum. It is not unheard of for Top companies to work in tandem with Universities within their vicinity in setting the curriculum so that when students graduate from these programs they are entirely ready to work for these corporates. Also,
- Research Opportunities – The United States of America is known for research in both core and multi-disciplinary areas. Given these research opportunities, students gain in-depth knowledge and enhanced thinking abilities.
- International Exposure – With the rapid growth of MNCs in India, engineers with international exposure are highly preferred.
- Self-Reliance – Students become independent and acquire other necessary skills for life. They get equipped with skill sets about their day-to-day life, such as problem-solving, decision-making, innovation, managing projects, teamwork, and enhanced communication.
- Varied career choices and flexibility – The US provides a diverse selection of career options to graduate engineers. Engineering jobs in the US are one of the highly paid jobs.
Given the several advantages of studying in the US, other factors need close attention and cautious move to enroll yourself in a good university successfully. Well, you can seek the guidance of institutes like The Gyan Foundation, who can guide you through with the entire process of analyzing, deciding, and enrolling in an appropriate university in the United States.